Published on November 7, 2018
- 50g of butter
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 heaped teaspoon flour
- 285ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 leeks, trimmed and finely sliced
- 400g garden peas
- 1 bunch mint, finely sliced
- 1 lemon, juice
- 4 eggs
- White vinegar
- Sea salt
- Good quality sourdough, to serve
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and add the leeks, stirring occasionally until soft, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add the butter and when melted add the flour and stir, until a loose roux forms then slowly add in the stock.
- Turn up the heat and add the peas with a pinch of salt. Put the lid on and simmer for 5 minutes or until tender. Add the mint and a squeeze of lemon juice while crushing the peas with the back of a fork.
- For the poached eggs, bring a medium-sized pot of water to the boil and add the vinegar, reduce heat to medium and using a slotted spoon spin the water in the pot. Crack egg into the spinning water and cook for 6-8 minutes or until cooked.
- Serve peas on a thick slice of sourdough toast with a poached egg on top.