The new season was announced in the Queensland Symphony Orchestra Studio with a Season 2014-inspired High Tea in The Laneway outside the building. The Laneway became home to six giant frames, following the launch theme of putting guests in the picture for Season 2014.
Guests included Her Excellency, Ms Penelope Wensley AC, the Governor of Queensland; The Shadow Minister for Environment and Heritage Protection, Small Business, Consumer Affairs and the Arts, Ms Jackie Trad, MP; Brisbane City Councillor, Cr. Geraldine Knapp representing The Lord Mayor of Brisbane, Councillor Graham Quirk and 150 invited guests.
The High Tea was watched over by the Queen of Trumpets – Sarah Wilson, QSO Principal Trumpet, costumed as the Queen of Trumpets, on a throne, surrounded by macaron towers, rich maroon velvet curtains and the stars of the QSO as they talked Season 2014.
Below is what patrons can look forward to
• 15 February – Premium Event: Mahler’s Symphony No.1 Titan with legendary Australian conductor Simone Young and violinist, Shlomo Mintz, performing Beethoven’s Violin Concerto
• 29 November – Premium Event: Mahler’s epic Symphony No.3, Maestro Fritzsch’s final performance as Chief Conductor of the QSO
• 14 June – Orchestra meets dance meets voice in Britten’s Les Illuminations: a collaboration between QSO, Sydney Dance Company and Katie Noonan.
• 9 August – QSO commissioned world premiere: Hamilton’s Ghosts in the Orchestra with The Australian Voices, breaking the boundaries between voice and orchestra
• 11 May – A Mother’s Day treat: Brisbane husband-and-wife legends Pamela Page and Max Olding perform Czerny’s Piano Concerto for 4 Hands
• 27 September – Father and Son: Acclaimed conductor Gerard Schwarz leads his son Julian Schwarz in Elgar’s Cello Concerto
• 19 & 21 June – the explosive power of Rachmaninov’s Piano Concerto No.3 with pianist Behzod Abduraimov and the rarely heard, original version of Sibelius’s Symphony No.5
• 10 July – A symphonic adventure: Schubert’s Symphony No.9 The Great
• 19 July – Four Last Songs, one of Strauss’ most sublime works
• 25 October – Tchaikovsky’s famous 1812 Overture
• 24 May – Brisbane’s Karin Schaupp, internationally crowned poet of the guitar, brings Rodrigo’s Concierto de Aranjuez to Queensland
• 27 September – Piers Lane tackles Busoni’s monumental Piano Concerto
Images by Danielle Hughes Brown