Green Breakfast Bowl
Published on September 18, 2017
Considered the “queen” of the lemon herbs, lemon myrtle is undoubtedly one of the most popular Australian native herbs. It has a fresh aroma of citrus, with delicate menthol essence and a tantalising lemon flavor, which raises this bowl to new heights.
Recipe supplied by dietitian Hayley Blieden, founder of The Australian Superfood Company
- 2 handfuls of shredded kale, stems removed
- 2 tbs olive oil
- ½ cup of pre-cooked quinoa
- 100g of haloumi, sliced
- 2 eggs
- ½ avocado, halved
- 4 radishes, sliced
- 2 fresh chilies, sliced
- 2 tbs chopped, roasted almonds
- 2 tbs pepitas
- ½ lemon, halved
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 tsp Lemon Myrtle
- Pour ½ litre of water into a saucepan and bring to the boil, then simmer.
- Add the olive oil to the kale and massage the leaves until they’ve softened.
- Add the quinoa and mix the two ingredients together.
- Heat a non-stick fry pan on medium heat. Fry haloumi on each side, turning once the edges turn a golden brown.
- Carefully place 2 eggs in the pot of simmering water and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Divide kale/quinoa mix, avocado, radishes and cooked haloumi evenly between the bowls.
- Shell eggs and place one in each bowl.
- For the dressing, combine all ingredients in a small jar, season to taste and mix well.
- To serve, pour the dressing over the salad and sprinkle with pepitas, almonds and sliced chili. Serve with a lemon wedge.