Good food and good health meet in The Yogic Kitchen, created and curated by ayurvedic health coach, skilled cook and passionate yoga teacher, Jody Vassallo. Here is a sneak peek at one of the recipes.
Mixed Lentil Dahl
Published on March 15, 2019
- 1 cup (250 g) urad dhal
- 1 cup (220 g) split mung dhal
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon tamarind puree
- 2 tablespoons organic sesame oil
- 3 cloves
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 cup (125 g) Greek style yoghurt
- 1 lemon, halved
- Coriander leaves
- Mint leaves
- Place the urad and mung dhal in a bowl, cover with water and set aside to soak overnight. Rinse and drain well.
- Transfer the dhal to a large saucepan, add 2 litres of water and cook over medium heat for 11/2 hours, checking and stirring several times to see if you need to add more water. The dhal is ready when the mixture is thick and slightly creamy. You may need to increase the heat towards the end if you find there is too much liquid.
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric and tamarind to the pan and mix to combine.
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan, add the cloves and bay leaves and cook over medium heat for 1 minute, add the remaining spices and cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Add to the cooked lentil mixture and stir through.
- Divide the dhal between serving bowls, top with the yoghurt, finish with a good squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of coriander and mint leaves.