Smashed Avocado with Marinated Feta
Published on September 18, 2017
If you’re a fan of the smell or taste of black licorice, you’ll love Aniseed Myrtle! With a strong aniseed and licorice flavor, this native spice makes an exotic addition to this popular dish.
Recipe supplied by dietitian Hayley Blieden, founder of The Australian Superfood Company
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbs Aniseed Myrtle
- 40g feta cheese, cubed
- 1 avocado
- 1 tbs chopped fresh mint, plus extra to garnish
- 1 lime , halved
- 4 slices of bread of choice (dark, rye or whole-wheat)
- 1 chili, sliced
1. Combine oil and aniseed myrtle in a sterilised screw-top jar.
2. Place feta in jar. Top with extra oil to cover (if necessary). Secure lid. Gently shake jar from side to side.
3. Refrigerate for 24 hours for flavours to develop. Bring to room temperature before serving.
*Can be done up to 1 week in advance.
Smashed Avo + Feta:
- Place the avocado in a medium size bowl and mash roughly with a fork.
- Add mint and a large squeeze of lime juice, mash until just combined.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Toast or grill bread until golden.
- To serve, spoon 1/4 of the avocado mixture onto each slice of bread. Top with feta and chili.
- Serve immediately garnished